What to wear with white shorts guys
The first thing to know about white shorts is that they’re actually not shorts at all. They’re trousers, which means they’re longer than shorts, and they usually cover the knee. So if you want to wear white pants with a shirt, jacket, or anything else that’s longer than your pants? You can definitely do that!
But if you want to wear white pants with a short-sleeve shirt and no jacket or sweater on top, then you need to be careful about how wide your shirt sleeves are. You’ll also want to make sure your shoes are the same color as your shorts—if they’re not white, then you might end up looking like an actual clown.
White shorts are a great summer staple, but they’re not the easiest things to wear. Here’s a few tips to make sure you look your best in white shorts this summer:
- Try to avoid wearing white shorts with black shoes. The contrast between the two will make your legs look shorter and bulkier than they actually are.
- Go for neutral colors like tan or brown when you’re shopping for white shorts, so they’ll match everything else in your closet.
- Wear white socks with your white shorts to avoid looking like you forgot to put on pants before leaving the house!
And if you’re wearing white pants with a long shirt and no jacket or sweater on top? Then feel free to wear whatever shoes you want!
White shorts are best described as the dark horse of fashion. Treated as an afterthought by most trendsetters, this particular garment is typically considered a last resort when it comes to putting together an outfit.
The popularity of black and blue shoves white onto the back burner for many, which shouldn’t be the case. Wearing white is a simple way to brighten up an ensemble—especially if you’re going for a summer look.
So, with that in mind, you’re probably wondering what to wear with white shorts. Whether it’s eggshell, cream, or alabaster, a pair of colorless bottoms can do wonders by elevating your look.
For those unsure how to style this specific piece, we’ll show you what to wear with white shorts using 16 outfit ideas.
Hopefully, by the end of this guide, you’ll understand all this and more:
- How to style white shorts
- What to wear with shorts female
- What to wear with white shorts men’s
- What color shirt to wear with white shorts
When to Wear White Shorts
White is typically associated with formal events. Shorts, on the other hand, are intrinsic to streetwear. So, by combining the two, this particular garment seems to lie in no man’s land. That’s why it might be difficult to know when or how to wear them.
Basically, it really boils down to what occasion you’re dressing for—since white shorts can be worn to cocktail parties, weddings, casual hangouts, and neighborly barbeques. Obviously, another factor to consider is the design itself.
In terms of the season, white shorts are typically worn during the spring and summer. Their colorless nature helps to reflect sunlight, which makes them quite breathable.
What to Wear With White Shorts
Like black, white is considered a super versatile shade. It pairs with any color, which makes styling an outfit way easier.
Naturally, there are different shades of white to choose from, including alabaster, chantilly lace, bone, and cream.
If you’re after a certain look, it’s important to settle for the right hue. For instance, coffee cream shorts work well with light academia attire.
In need of additional specifics? If so, check out the 16 different outfit ideas down below.
16 Outfit Ideas With White Shorts
This super suave OOTD is slightly ‘dad–core’ due to the white shorts and Yankees baseball cap. Of course, it’s not entirely cheesy in aesthetic, since the color-block cardigan helps to elevate the entire look.
Accentuated with a cream sweater, a striped button-down shirt, and a brown belt, this ‘what to wear with white shorts’ contender can help exude that ‘distinguished gentlemen’ vibe for sophisticated dressers.
If you’re wondering what to wear with white shorts, it’s natural to assume that your only options are plain monochrome pieces. But, contrary to popular belief, there’s a broad assortment of printed beauties out there, such as this notable example.
Speckled in floral print, these gorgeous bottoms are paired with a matching color-block jacket, a simple tee, and some New Balance 997s. It’s a simple yet stylish look to don for the summer.
Outfitted by style legend Amiri, this chic outfit is definitely stylish in color, cut, and silhouette. It showcases a country club kind of attitude, which is probably due to the blue collared jacket, the clean cream bottoms, and the matching duffle bag.
Complemented with sneakers and a bucket hat, this ‘what to wear with white shorts’ contender keeps things classy and fresh for hot and humid summer days.
Considered a simple way to answer the what to wear with white shorts? question, this bright ensemble features a color-blocked track jacket and a pair of alabaster bottoms.
Topped off with sneakers, socks, and a decorative neck scarf, it’s definitely a simpler approach to the sets offered by Gucci.
Composed of a beige leather jacket, a wrap top, a cream hat, and pinstripe bottoms, this look is slightly similar to what Indiana Jones wore in the movies.
For those searching for outfits with white shorts guys, this ensemble strikes an even balance between function and fashion.
Take, for instance, this ultra-cool example, which features a button-down top, drawstring bottoms, grey socks, and alabaster sandals.
Accentuated with a chunky silver necklace, this look has a sort of utilitarian vibe due to its uniformity, but in a fashionable way.
If you’re wondering what to wear with white shorts, this is a great ensemble to start with since it only requires a few wardrobe basics. The sunnies are a must-have, especially if you’re planning to hit the beach.
Casual Fridays in office settings usually entail jeans, cozy sweaters, and sneakers. We’re pretty sure that this ensemble will get you dress-coded by HR, but at least you’ll look fashionable.
Composed of a blue button-up shirt, cream bottoms, sneakers, and a designer bag, this ‘what to wear with white shorts’ contender has a ‘business on top’ and ‘party on the bottom’ look.
This what to wear with white shorts outfit idea is composed of cream bottoms, a sports bra, a blue button-down shirt, and silver jewelry for a touch of sparkle.
If you intend on wearing this look out on the town, we highly recommend topping things off with a pair of chunky sneakers.
The stylish outfit pictured above features an oversized white tee, cream shorts, sandals, and an adorable handbag.
This is another example of a monochrome ensemble done right, due to the collection of different shades of white.
I’m fully aware that these shorts aren’t entirely white in nature. However, white does act as the foundation of the overall print—which definitely counts.
This retro-inspired outfit features a graphic T-shirt and a pair of tie-dye drawstring bottoms.
While the shoes aren’t shown in the picture, I’m pretty confident that the model chose sneakers to complete the final look.
In need of additional accessories? If so, I suggest finishing off the OOTD with a pair of shades.
Composed of a boxy hoodie, graphic white shorts, ankle socks, and sneakers, it’s the perfect OOTD to don if you’re feeling especially lazy. I highly recommend topping the look off with a black fanny pack and a baseball cap.
The boxy silhouette provided by the top marries well with the tailored nature of the bottoms. Flirty in aesthetic, this outfit is not complete without a decorative headband, cap-toe heels, and a cute designer bag.
Bonus points for those who decide to further accessorize with white silk gloves.
Of course, this OOTD isn’t exclusively exercise attire, since it can also be worn for everyday use. Ideal for casual brunch dates, dog walking, or hanging out with friends, this stylish ensemble is the perfect example of a ‘chic city girl’ look.
Reminiscent of Italian rural scapes, this romantic OOTD will make you nostalgic for wine-tasting, picnics, and charcuterie boards in Europe. It features a wrap-style blouse and a pair of linen cream shorts.
Accentuated with a pearl necklace, this ensemble definitely exudes a level of sophistication and class that streetwear can never offer. For shoes, I recommend a pair of summer sandals.
So, I recommend swapping your petticoat with a pair of shorts instead.
While you’re free to opt for a tailored set, I suggest picking a more ruffled silhouette to give off the impression of a skirt.
Ideally matched with an oversized top, it’s the safest way to adopt the ‘mini dress look’ safely and discreetly.
What Type of White Shorts Outfits Can You Get?
The easiest way to tackle the what to wear with white shorts query is to assess your options.
As previously mentioned, trendsetters can choose from a wide selection of white shades—ranging from alabaster to chantilly cream. Aside from hue, design is another factor worth considering.
For those still struggling to form a cohesive fit, I’ll share some notable trends that are all the rage this season.
- Cargo shorts: Bulky in silhouette, this design can help accentuate your hips and waist. I recommend wearing a slim top or a tucked-in shirt to help create that fit and flare effect.
- Cotton shorts: Designed to billow out, this cut of cloth is ideal during the summertime. It’s also super breathable and lightweight in nature.
- Silk shorts: Synonymous with pajama bottoms, this is a great alternative to opt for during the Monday blues.
- Denim shorts: Can’t stand traditional blue? White denim shorts can help you feel fresh during the humid summer months.
- Sweat shorts: If you’re craving something more comfortable, you can never go wrong with a pair of jersey-knit bottoms. This particular design typically features an elasticated waistband and a drawstring enclosure.
How to Choose the Best White Shorts Outfit
Missing a coveted pair of white shorts in your wardrobe? If so, then you’ll be glad to know that there are hundreds of trendy designs to choose from.
Naturally, the internet’s gigantic collection of alternatives may leave you overwhelmed, which is why it’s important to become a responsible shopper.
If you truly want the best of the best, buyers must consider four things: material quality, design, comfort, and price.
The silhouette of your shorts will depend heavily on the material in question. For shorts, fabrics can range from cotton, denim, silk, and jersey knit.
While it’s easy to cop a $5 pair of polyester bottoms, this may give off the impression of cheapness due to their thin construction. Ultimately, shoppers must test the garment’s strength, durability, and comfort level to ensure a quality design.
Aside from standard monochrome, white shorts can feature print as well. Some notable examples include pinstripe, floral, and even polka-dot.
If you consider yourself a minimalist dresser, perhaps it’s best to stick to plain fabrics instead. Also, at the end of the day, you should select a pair that blends well with your current wardrobe.
Obviously, the price will depend on these three crucial factors. You shouldn’t feel limited to designer brands, of course, since there’s a broad assortment of affordable alternatives out there.
As a slight estimate, a pair of well-made white shorts should retail for around $20 to $50, depending on the brand.
How to Style With White Shorts
This what to wear with white shorts guide has done its best to showcase the trendiest outfits. That said, we understand if you’re in need of additional inspo.
This particular garment can be hard to style—especially if you’re used to black and blue. Care for some extra tips? If so, we’ll share some more suggestions for fashionistas to consider.
- The classic monochrome outfit: White on white can look jarring at first glance. This is why we recommend adding a bit of juxtaposition. This could be a colored jacket or a decorative necklace.
- Silver and gold jewelry: If you want to look stark and professional, silver can be your go-to choice. On the other hand, gold can exude a warm, earthy vibe, appropriate for certain outfits.
- Sneakers: Best paired with matching socks, a pair of sneakers can help soften the sharpness of your white shorts.
- Oversized tees: If you own a tailored pair of white shorts, an extra-large shirt can help create that hourglass effect.
Fashion Tips to Avoid With White Shorts Outfits
Given their colorless nature, it’s natural to assume that everything goes with white shorts. I hate to burst your bubble, but there’s a decent amount of no-no’s associated with this particular garment.
To help avoid future cringe attacks, this what to wear with white shorts guide has gathered a few fashion faux pas to avoid.
- Studded denim shorts: Considered a fashion trend in 2010, this dated fad was not only ugly in aesthetic but super impractical to wear if you wanted to sit down.
- Thin belts: Braided leather and skinny cords are never a good look. Instead, we recommend sticking to traditional silhouettes for a classic alternative.
- Low-waisted white shorts: Unless you’re fond of showing buttcrack, this unflattering cut gives off the illusion of a long torso and short legs.
- Distressed white shorts: The ‘angelic’ aesthetic of white shorts is ruined with rips, dips, and holes.
- Neon colors: Reserved only for raves, bright oranges, greens, and pinks look cheap when paired with white shorts.
How to Take Care of White Shorts Outfits
While white is considered a super versatile color, it’s also known as a tricky hue to maintain. Those that own garments in this shade know the struggles of keeping them blemish-free.
For those in need of cleaning tips, this what to wear with white shorts guide will show you how to take care of this specific garment.
- Use a gentle detergent and cold water: This combination helps to maintain the quality of your white shorts.
- Tumble on low or airdry: Depending on the construction of your shorts, some garments may need to be dried naturally.
- Consider bleach: If your white shorts have been through hell and back, perhaps it’s time to wash them in a bleach bath. This consists of a 1:2 ratio of bleach and water.
Best Places to Buy White Shorts Outfits
Care for some recommendations? If so, this what to wear with white shorts guide has got your back. Here are a few suggested stores for readers to visit.
- For Love and Lemons
- Urban Outfitters
Out of the thousands of fussy garments out there, white shorts should be the least of your worries. They’re relatively easy to style, considering their colorless nature and simple silhouette.
Most of the outfits I featured are best worn during the warm season, as this specific hue is known to be more breathable.