If you’re going on a first date, it’s important to wear something that makes you feel good. Your goal should never be to impress your date, but rather to ensure that you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. My personal favorite outfit for first dates is jeans and a nice top with some jewelry—I like the idea of looking casual yet put together at the same time!
Choose a dress that fits you well, and isn’t too short or too tight.
Dressing conservatively will ensure that you’re taken seriously. When it comes to picking out an outfit for a first date, this is especially important. You don’t want to be the one who gets kicked out of the restaurant for being “too sexy.”
A few tips: don’t wear short skirts or low cut tops; wear clothes that fit well, and are flattering; don’t wear clothes that are too tight or too loose; and finally, don’t wear clothes that are too short or too long.
Don’t wear heels. If your shoes are dressy enough, flats are OK.
- Don’t wear heels. If your shoes are dressy enough, flats are OK.
- If you do wear heels, make sure they’re comfortable and not too high. I once went on a date with someone who had just had surgery and was wearing neon green platform wedges that were so tall I could barely see over them—and he was wearing them for about five hours straight! Needless to say, it wasn’t a good look for either of us and hasn’t been repeated since then.
Wear makeup and style your hair in a way that makes you feel good
- Wear makeup. If you don’t usually wear makeup, it’s okay to experiment with a little bit of eye shadow and mascara. It will give your face a lift and make you feel more confident, which is exactly the kind of mood that can help you get lucky.
- Style your hair in a way that makes you feel good. Whether it’s curling or straightening, just make sure that whatever style choice you make is one that makes sense for your day-to-day life—and not just what looks good on other people. If having naturally curly hair doesn’t bother you personally, then by all means keep embracing it! But if straightening out your curls gives them more volume and bounce (or even helps keep them under control), then now might be the time to break out the flat iron instead of using mousse or gel to boost their appearance at work events where appearances matter most…
Stay away from bright colors like red, orange and yellow.
When it comes to color, you have to think about the whole picture. You can’t just focus on one thing—like a red top or orange pants—and expect it to carry an entire outfit. Instead, try to create a color palette that matches your personality and style while staying within your comfort zone. The easiest way to do this is by using three colors (a trifecta) that complement each other well.
You don’t want the first date with someone new to feel like a job interview; instead, you should be looking for something casual and comfortable but also stylish enough that they notice how put-together you are without being overdone (so no animal print shirts). And remember: It’s always best not to try anything new for the first time when meeting someone for the first time!
Wear your best-press clothes.
The most important thing to remember when shopping for your first date outfit is to choose something that makes you feel good. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
There are several no-no’s when it comes to what not to wear on a first date, though:
- Don’t wear anything too big, small or short. If your hair is down and flowing around you, it might cover up the bottom half of your outfit if it’s too short. The same goes with pants or skirts; if they’re too long and drooping over the tops of shoes or heels, then they could take away from how polished you look.
- Don’t wear clothes with stains or holes in them. This one should go without saying: if there’s something wrong with an article of clothing that isn’t fixable by washing alone (like a stain), don’t even think about wearing it until after the date has happened—and even then only if said piece doesn’t have any sentimental value attached to it!
Wear a belt if you’re wearing jeans or shorts.
Wear a belt if you’re wearing jeans or shorts. A belt gives your outfit a more polished look, and it also provides extra support for your pants when they’re too tight. If you don’t wear a belt, make sure that the waist of your pants is long enough to cover your underwear.
Don’t wear belts with dresses (unless otherwise directed). Dresses should be worn at waist level; belts add weight and bulk to an outfit that’s meant to be lightweight and fluid.
Avoid distressed clothes that have holes or tears in them.
Avoiding clothes that are too tight or baggy will help you avoid looking like you’re trying too hard. It’s important to find a happy medium between the two because either one can make you look awkward.
As far as length goes, long (but not too long) is the way to go if you want to look stylish and put together without being too flashy or over-the-top. If someone asks me what color shirt I’m wearing and I have to think about it, then it’s probably too short for my liking!
Dress as though you’re going to the movies with your parents or going out to lunch with a close friend.
When it comes to dressing for your first date, you want to do what is comfortable and flattering. While the clothes you wear on the first date don’t have to be fancy, they also shouldn’t be too casual. You’ll want to avoid wearing anything that isn’t appropriate for a professional environment or leaves little room for error (i.e., something too tight or revealing). Above all else, dress as though you’re going out with your parents or going out for lunch with a close friend—casual but not frumpy—and feel good in what you’re wearing!
While it’s good to look nice on a first date, don’t go overboard with the dressing up
While it’s good to look nice on a first date, don’t go overboard with the dressing up. It’s not prom! You’re not trying to impress everyone in the room. If you do end up going to an upscale restaurant or bar and are worried about what to wear, check out their website beforehand and make sure your outfit is appropriate.
While it’s important that you look nice for your date, there are definitely some things that will turn him off more than anything else: over-the-top makeup, jewelry that’s too loud or flashy (unless he has similar taste), clothes that are too revealing (tops should cover your shoulders at least), dresses that are too short or tight—these can all send negative signals about how much effort you put into preparing for this event. Remember: subtlety is key when it comes to flirting!
While it’s good to look nice on a first date, don’t go overboard with the dressing up. You want your date to see you as someone they would like to get to know better, not some girl who is trying too hard. There are many ways that you can dress up without being over-dressed