Best Zumba Dance Workout For Weight Loss
Zumba is a dance workout that combines high-intensity interval training with Latin and international music. It’s fun, fast-paced, and a great way to get in shape. But you’re not here to read about what Zumba is—you want to know how it can help you lose weight.
Here are the top 5 benefits of Zumba for weight loss:
- It burns calories! One hour of Zumba burns about 500 calories, which means if you take an hour-long class four times per week, you could lose about five pounds a month just from Zumba alone (assuming your diet stays the same). That’s pretty incredible!
- It helps you focus on your body more than ever before. When you’re dancing with other people and being encouraged by instructors to move your hips and shake your booty, it’s much easier to feel connected with your body and realize when something isn’t working right. This awareness can help motivate you toward making changes in order to maintain healthier habits long term.
- You get some extra cardio benefits without having to change up your usual routine too much—just add Zumba in once or twice a week instead of running or biking around
Right here on Buy and Slay, you are privy to a litany of relevant information on types of zumba classes, basic Zumba dance steps, best time to do zumba for weight loss, and so much more. Take out time to visit our catalog for more information on similar topics.
One of the easiest ways to lose weight and get a toned body is through cardio or aerobic exercises. But if the idea of daily exercise scares you, you need to replace it with ‘Zumba’. Zumba dance for weight loss is gaining popularity for its groovy dance moves and other health benefits it offers, including weight loss. This article will explore five essential benefits of Zumba dance for weight loss and how it can increase your daily calorie burn.
Top 5 Reasons You Should Do Zumba Dance To Lose Weight & Burning Fat
Zumba is a high-energy aerobic exercise, and the hype surrounding the body transformation it can lead to is real. Below enlisted are five reasons which make Zumba a great exercise to lose weight and why you should incorporate it in your daily workout routine:
It Strengthens Your Core And Helps You Get Rid Of Belly Fat:
Zumba engages your core and other key muscle groups such as glutes, abs, hamstrings, triceps, quadriceps, etc., that need an extra push. It helps in strengthening your core and get a chiseled torso. Zumba is also known to reduce body fat, especially belly fat, and you can build six-pack abs without relying on any equipment.
It Improves Cardiovascular Health And Overall Physical Fitness:
Zumba offers immense cardiovascular benefits as it increases the heart rate, lowers cholesterol levels, and boosts cardio endurance. It helps improve mood and keeps stress at bay. Apart from improving heart and mental health, Zumba also reduces the risks of serious illnesses such as diabetes, stroke, etc. Zumba is known to keep diabetes in check by increasing energy levels and lowering blood sugar levels. But it is recommended to check with a professional and gain expert advice before you being with your regimen.
It Burns More Calories And Fat Than Other Exercises:
Zumba can burn many calories in just an hour of workout. An interval-style HIIT Zumba workout is a great weight loss workout that reduces harmful subcutaneous belly fat. A 40-minute Zumba dance is a full-body workout that can burn 369 calories, which is more calories burned than exercises like aerobics, power yoga, or kickboxing done for the same amount of time. The number of calories you burn also depends on the duration of the workout, your age, gender, and intensity of the movements.
It Improves Flexibility:
Zumba combines dance with exercise, and its movements work to make the body more flexible, especially around the hips and the midsection. The high-energy movements of Zumba, such as jumps and lunges, engage and strengthen the leg muscles, make them more flexible and enhance body coordination.
It Builds Muscle Mass And A Toned Physique:
Zumba, when done consistently, can help you get a more toned, leaner, and healthier body. The movements engage almost every muscle and aid in increasing muscle mass. Zumba increases the body’s energy expenditure and strengthens and tones up the arms using weights. You can also incorporate weights to build muscles in the legs and glutes. The low and high-intensity movements help tone the entire body while being gentle on the joints.
Now that we know about Zumba’s benefits, let’s read to find out the number of calories that a Zumba session can help you burn.
How Many Calories can you burn fat By Doing Zumba Dance?
Research states that a 40 minutes Zumba dance workout can help you lose up to 369 calories. So, you can expect to lose 500 to 800 calories in an hour of Zumba workout on average. It also depends on your age, gender, genetics, the intensity of the dance movements, and how effectively are they done.
Let’s read a few tips to get you the most out of your Zumba workout.
Some Effective Tips for Zumba for Weight Loss And Burning Fat!
It is crucial to do the Zumba steps correctly and follow a proper diet plan to burn fat faster and achieve your weight loss goal. Follow these tips to increase the effectiveness of your Zumba workout
- Eat a diet high in lean proteins and low in carbohydrates.
- Make sure to hydrate yourself consistently.
- Avoid the intake of processed foods and sugary drinks.
- Include more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits in your diet.
- Have a healthy snack every three to four hours to keep up your energy levels.
- Try to engage every muscle by mixing up the Zumba formats such as Zumba toning, aqua Zumba, Zumba strength training, etc., as this will help you burn fat faster and reap more health benefits.
- Choose music that keeps up your energy and challenges the body by extending the range of motion.
- Make sure to invest in comfortable shoes for Zumba.
- Try to work out consistently and enjoy it to achieve your weight loss goals quickly.
Zumba is a popular and trendy workout suitable for every age group that offers a host of health benefits. It is an excellent workout for anyone looking to lose extra pounds of their body while enjoying and dancing to the beats of the music. It is a full-body exercise that improves your cardiovascular health, decreases blood pressure, and tones your body. It is easier on your joints and the chances of injury are low. However, it is advisable that you seek guidance from an expert before starting with the Zumba routine.
Types Of Zumba Classes
With so many different types of Zumba® classes at AFC Fitness, there’s an exercise party for everyone. Zumba students of every age can get moving to a rockin’ class that fits their needs. Call your AFC Fitness club to get the current schedule and classes offered.
Zumba® class is a combination of dance and fitness moves done to a background of exhilarating, international rhythms. The Zumba® formula is 70% Latin music and 30% of anything else. A typical Zumba® class will feature merengue, salsa, cha-cha, reggaeton, bachata, samba, soca, hip-hop, bellydance, bhangra. The overall effect is that exercise feels more like a party than working out at the gym.
Zumba Gold® is modified to the moves and pace to suit the needs of participants young and old, and for the ones that are just starting out to exercise. it is also great for beginners as well. Zumba Gold also offers chair choreography for individuals with physical limitations. What stays the same are all the elements the Zumba Fitness – party is known for.
Zumbatomic® class is geared towards kids ages 4 thru 12. Zumbatomic® features kid-friendly routines using music that kids love such as hip-hop, reggaeton and cumbia, giving the kids an exercise experience that they will love!
Zumba®Toning – This class combines the basic, cardio moves of a Zumba® class with body-sculpting exercises using toning sticks. The toning sticks are lightweight, maraca-like dumbbells.
Zumba®Gold-Toning – Combining the Zumba®Gold class with the Zumba®Toning class, this class incorporates lightweight, resistance training into the cardio program for beginners young and old to build muscle strength.The toning sticks are lightweight, maraca-like dumbbells.
AquaZumba® – This is a water based exercise class performed in a pool. Using the same exhilarating music and dance-fitness moves, participants receive cardio conditioning and body toning benefits from the resistance of the water.
BENEFITS OF ZUMBA CLASSES
If you love dancing, it might be time that you joined a local Zumba class. Zumba classes help you take your fitness to the next level in a fun, group dance workout.
Plus, there are a number of benefits of Zumba that you can take advantage of when you join this type of exercise class. Not only will you get in shape, but you’ll also boost your heart health and increase your mental well-being.
If you’re interested in learning more about some of the benefits of Zumba classes, keep reading. Let’s take a look at the amazing health benefits of doing Zumba!
1. Burn Calories and Blast Away Fat
Probably the number one reason people take Zumba classes is to get rid of excess weight. Since Zumba is an aerobic activity, it helps you burn calories and eliminate fat.
In fact, most people burn between 600 and 1,000 calories in a one-hour Zumba class. The music is choreographed so that intense dance intervals are alternated with different movements and rest periods.
On top of that, there are several fitness moves that are incorporated into a Zumba class. That means that you won’t just be doing dance moves; you might also be doing squats or plyometric jumps as part of your workout.
2. Improve Your Coordination
Another one of the many benefits of Zumba classes is that you can improve your coordination. Since you’ll be required to move different parts of the body at the same time, the Zumba workouts can help you become better coordinated.
Having good coordination is especially important as you age. It helps you maintain your balance and keep your bones and joints strong so that you can move around on your own.
3. Work Out Your Whole Body
Many types of exercises only target one specific area of the body. That means that you won’t be working all the muscle groups in your body and will need to take the time to focus workouts on the areas that you missed.
Zumba, in contrast, is a workout that targets the whole entire body. You’ll be working the shoulders, legs, head, and upper body through the various dance steps that you have to perform in the class.
4. Get Your Aerobics On
Did you know that Zumba can get you to your target heart rate much more quickly than other home workout routines or gym routines? That’s right!
Because Zumba matches dances to the beat of a song, you tend to keep pace with the rhythm of the music. And, most of the music used in Zumba fitness classes is fast-paced which makes you move more quickly.
As a result, Zumba helps you build endurance and strengthen your heart rate. This, in turn, helps you to improve how long you can work out and to be able to last longer in your other workout routines.
5. Build Anaerobic Endurance
It’s not just aerobics that Zumba helps you improve. Because most of the music used during the class relies on a slow buildup, it helps you improve your anaerobic endurance.
Plus, the slow warmup helps you increase the amount of oxygen that your body can take in while performing high-intensity activities. It’s a great morning workout routine to participate in to get the blood flowing and oxygen pumping through your veins.
6. Get Addicted to Exercise
One of the main reasons why people don’t work out is because they don’t enjoy it. When you don’t enjoy doing something, it’s much harder to start and much easier to quit.
Luckily, Zumba doesn’t feel like a workout. Since you’re dancing and having fun moving to a beat, you’re able to get some good exercise without giving up, making it the ideal workout for many people.
7. Zumba Is Appropriate for All Ages
There are several different types of Zumba that you can take. Each type is appropriate for a different age group. A few of the standard types of Zumba include:
- Standard Zumba for adults
- Zumba Gold for seniors
- Aqua Zumba for those who like the water
- Zumba for Kids
With all these different types of classes, you’re sure to find a form of Zumba that works for you. And, the steps are fairly simple and easy to memorize so that you can join in a class even if you’ve never attended before.
8. Boost Your Confidence
There’s nothing like dancing for lowering your inhibitions and standing a little taller. When you participate regularly in Zumba, you’ll begin to feel better about yourself thanks to your improved coordination.
Plus, if you’re shy about dancing, this class will help you feel more confident in your dance abilities. Pretty soon you’ll be ready to hit the dance floor like a pro!
9. Improve Your Mood
It’s no mystery that working out releases endorphins and produces mood-boosting effects in the brain. And, Zumba is a workout that’s no different!
On top of that, Zumba classes use upbeat music and dance moves. This helps get your energy up and get you even more excited about the class that you’re taking.
10. Get Social
Apart from the physical and mental benefits, there are several social benefits of Zumba, too. When you participate in Zumba, you’ll be engaging with your classmates.
The more often you go to class, the more often you’ll be around your new friends. Plus, you can host your own private Zumba events such as Zumba bachelorette parties or corporate challenges to get more friends involved!
Basic Zumba Dance Steps
Zumba can be intimidating if you don’t dance. But I can teach you the basics! Follow these simple steps and see how you do. Class is simple once you master the basics! There is no right or wrong in Zumba. Zumba is about adding your own style! Learn the basics, have fun, and let loose!
Step 1: Your Zumba Gear
Comfort is key in Zumba! You need to wear appropriating clothing for comfort. You want to be free to break it down, right?
Keep the following in mind before class:
- Wear work-out clothes: shorts, tank tops, sweat pants, etc
- Wear dance shoes or sneakers: You will move your feet around a lot. Make sure your feet are comfortable!
- Bring a bottle of water or gatorade to class: You need to re-hydrate between dances. Drink plenty after class as well!
Step 2: Let’s Salsa
Salsa is a major step in Zumba. Ready to begin?
1. Stand with both feet together.
2. Step to the right. Bend your knees.
3.Return to the middle.
4.Step to the left. Bend your knees slightly.
5.Return to the middle.
6.Try it a little faster. Slightly rock to the side as you move. Loosen up your upper body. Let your shoulders move with your feet.
7. Faster this time! Add some hip as you rock. Make it your own! Check video for correct tempo.
1. Bend your knees. Slightly bend arms. Point them to the right towards the sky.
2.Take four steps to the right-use your hips to move.
3..Return to the middle.
4..Repeat step 1. This time point arms to the left.
5. Take four steps to the left-use your hips to move.
6. Try it faster. Check video for correct tempo.
Step 3: Shall We Merenge March?
Ever heard the term, “Merenge march”, during class? It might look complicated, but don’t panic! It’s easy once you break it down. So, shall we?
1.Stand straight with both feet together.
2.Bend your right foot slightly.
3.Return to the middle.
4.Bend your left foot slightly.
5.Return to the middle.
6.Try it faster. Interchange feet like your marching rapidly.
7. Add arms.
Place one arm out to the side: Right side if left foot is bent. Left side if right foot is bent. Opposite arm goes directly in front of your chest.
8.Interchange arms and feet like a rapid march. Travel forward. Travel back. Check video for correct tempo.
Step 4: Reggaeton Time
Reggaeton is the latin form of “hip-hop.” It is a high energy dance. You know that means? Attitude please! I know you have in you. Let’s get started!
1. Start with both feet together.
2. Bend your right foot.
3. Drop your right arm to the side. Make sure it is pointing towards the floor.
4. Bend your left arm. Place it in the center. It should be covering your stomach.
5. Return to the middle.
6. Bend your left foot.
6. Repeat step 3. This time drop your left arm.
7.Repeat step 4. This time bend your right arm.
8. Return to the middle.
9.Try it faster. Interchange feet: 2 singles and 1 double. It helps to say: “Single, single, double, double” out loud or in you head. Add pop to your shoulders as you move.
10. Pick up the pace. Give me some attitude! Check video for correct tempo.
1. Separate feet slightly. Bend arms. Place them to the right diagonally. It should like your boxing sideways.
2. Contract your stomach 6 times. After the third contraction pause briefly. Count: 1 and 2. 1 and 2. to separate contractions.
2. Return to the middle.
3. Repeat step 1. This time place right to the left.
4. Repeat step 2.
5. Return to the middle.
6. Try it faster. Contract rapidly. Use your arms to pump. It’s like a fist pump with your stomach! Check video for correct tempo.
Step 5: Cumba Party
Let’s end with a party. A Cumba party! Ready for your last basic?
1. Dig your right heel into the floor. Step to the back. Dig your right toe into the floor.
2. Travel to the left. Use you both feet to travel. Take small steps with right foot. Move further with each front dig. Keep digging to the front and back.
3. Return to the middle.
3. Repeat step 1. This time dig your left heel. Dig your right toe.
3. Repeat step 2. This time travel right.
4. Return to the middle.
5. Try it faster. Dig front and back rapidly. Loosen your shoulders. Let your arms hang. Put them on your hips if it feels weird. Allow your hips to move you.
6. Speed up the pace. Check video for correct tempo.