When your child is ready to start walking, they will likely have a wide foot. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be comfortable!
There are several shoes on the market today that are specifically designed for wide feet and should fit your little one just right.
In this blog post, we’ll show you some of the best shoes for kids with wide feet, as well as how to measure their feet and what to look for in a shoe that will work.
Best Shoes For Kids With Wide Feet
BUYING SHOES FOR KIDS
Buying shoes for kids is very similar to buying shoes for adults. There are a few extra considerations for kids, but in general, the same principles apply.
Here are some things to keep in mind when going wide shoe shopping for your child:
Go into a store and have your child try a pair of shoes on. Measuring a child’s foot and buying the corresponding size isn’t enough. Have the child, (yes, even a toddler) put the kid’s shoe on and walk around a little.
Check their feet. It’s time to get down there and feel their feet in the shoe. Are their toes curled? Is their heel where it’s supposed to be? Do their toes have about a thumbs width space in the forefoot?
Have the child wear the socks they will wear with the shoe. Don’t use a pair of disposable booties. Bring the socks your child will wear to the shoe fitting to see how they fit.
Listen to your child. If your child has complaints or issues with the shoe, listen to them. If something hurts or bothers them, most likely it’s not going to get any better. The key to buying a comfortable shoe for kids (or adults for that matter) is to make sure they fit well from the start.
Resist the urge to buy the “next size up.” Buying shoes that are too big for your child can be just as bad as buying shoes that are too small. Make sure there is some wiggle room for their little piggies (about a thumbs width), but not so much that they could trip over their own feet.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR KIDS WITH WIDE FEET
Like mentioned before, many children have wide feet. Some grow out of it, while others have wide feet for the rest of their lives. Luckily many brands have wide and even extra-wide options for their shoes.
Buying the incorrect shoe size, such as something that is too small or made for a narrow foot, can not only be uncomfortable but can lead to serious foot issues such as blisters, corns, bunions, ingrown toenails, and more.
While it may be tempting to get the next size up in order to help alleviate the width issue, don’t. Buying a pair of shoes that are made specifically wide or extra wide will keep children’s feet healthy and comfortable.
10 BEST CHILDREN’S SHOES FOR WIDE FEET
Let’s get down to it, shall we? You need a pair of wide width shoes for your child and we have compiled a list of the best out there today! This list includes shoes that are for boys, girls, and unisex options, too.
All the shoes on this list come from trusted brands that you might even wear yourself! Whether you are looking for a sneaker, a slip-on, or something fancy for a special occasion, we’ve got you (and your child) covered.
1. SAUCONY JAZZ HOOK & LOOP SNEAKER
Saucony Unisex-child Baby Jazz Hook & Loop Seasonal ,…
- suede and mesh upper for durability and…
- alternative closure for easy on/off
- light weight eva midsole for cushioning
- non-marking rubber outsole for…
- take down pattern
Not only will your child be comfy in these lightweight shoes, but they are extremely stylish. The simple Velcro closure makes it easy to get these shoes on and off as well as adjust the width a little more.
The upper part of the shoe is made of durable, stylish suede and a breathable mesh to prevent kids’ feet from getting too hot and sweaty. The midsole is a lightweight EVA foam that provides just enough cushion without being too overly plush.
These particular shoes are available for both big kids (size 10.5-12) and little kids (size 4-10).
- Comfortable size and material.
- Mesh upper makes these shoes breathable.
- Suede upper is stylish.
- Comes in big kids and little kids sizes.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- Easy to get on.
- The Velcro can prematurely wear depending on how often shoe is used.
2. FLORSHEIM BERWYN JR OXFORD SHOE
Florsheim Kids’ Berwyn JR Uniform Oxford Shoe…
- Leather oxford with slight heel…
- Cushioned footbed
Need something fancy for your little gentleman? This snazzy leather oxford comes in wide width and an easy on/off-hook and loop closure.
This shoe is surprisingly cushioned proving that dressing sharp doesn’t mean being uncomfortable. The heel is 1-inch tall.
This shoe is durable and can withstand frequent use. The price might be a little higher than some might want to pay for a shoe but the quality and durability prove that it’s worth every penny.
- Stylish leather design
- An easy closure system for easy on and easy off
- Plenty of cushioning
- Durable enough for daily wear
- The wide might not be quite wide enough for some kids.
3. KEDS DAPHNE T-STRAP SNEAKER
Keds girls Daphne Mary Jane Flat, White Leather, 5 Wide…
- Memory foam footbed for all-day comfort…
- T-strap closure for easy on/off and…
- Deep flex grooves for maximum…
- Rubber outsole for traction
With pattern and prints and colors for every taste, these comfortable wide width shoes are perfect for any little girl on the go.
The T-Strap is adjustable and the closure makes it easy for girls to get the shoes on and off. A unique feature of the shoe is the deep flex grooves on the sole that allow girls feet to flex naturally— perfect for running around on the playground and all-day wear.
The rubber sole provides great traction, even on slippery surfaces and the memory foam footbed is comfortable as well as supportive.
- Easy to get on/off T-Strap closure.
- Many different designs to choose from.
- Memory foam is super comfy as well as supportive.
- The rubber sole flexes thanks to the deep grooves.
- For the designs that feature glitter, the glitter falls off which can be annoying.
4. SKECHERS NITRATE SNEAKER
Skechers Boys Nitrate Training Shoe,Royal/Black,US 10.5 W
These flashy sneakers will have your little boy running comfortably and with style. The 3D print knit mesh upper is seamless which means no irritations, blisters, and a cool, sweat-free ride.
The memory foam is comfortable as well as supportive, conforming to the unique shape of your child’s foot. Also unique to the shoe is they are vegan meaning this shoe is not made from any animal products.
While the shoe is durable, be sure to keep these shoes out of the washing machine to get a long life out of the memory foam.
- Fun, funky colors to choose from
- Stylish design
- Comfortable memory foam
- Seamless knit upper prevents blisters and other irritations for occurring.
- Won’t hold up to the washing machine.
5. STRIDE RITE MADE2PLAY ARTIN’ SNEAKER
Stride Rite Unisex-Child Made 2 Play Artin-K Sneaker, Navy,…
This Stride Rite shoe was certainly made for play and for kids that need a wide width shoe.
The shoe features memory foam footbeds for support and comfort and an Anti-Stink Technology that successfully keeps shoes smelling good. The hook & loop closure makes the shoe easy to get on and off quickly. But most importantly, these shoes are machine washable!
The wide width size will provide plenty of room and comfort for your little ones to play.
- Comfy memory foam footbeds are comfy and supportive.
- Hook & loop closure makes it easy to get shoes on and off.
- Anti-Stink Technology keeps shoes fresh.
- Durable shoes can hold up to machine washing.
- For kids with extra wide feet, the wide width might not be quite wide enough.
6. NEW BALANCE KV624 HOOK & LOOP UNIFORM SHOE
This simple, straightforward sneaker is supportive, comfortable, and comes in a wide and extra-wide width.
While not the most stylish shoe (no fancy colors or designs here) it is a durable shoe that can take a beating. The hook and loop straps are easy to use and the padded interior is so comfortable, your kid might forget that it isn’t a funky color.
Coming in sizes for 4-year-olds all the way to 12-year-olds, your growing child will have a go-to shoe for a long time.
- Super comfortable injected-molded midsole.
- Simple design and color choice go with a variety of outfits.
- Hook and loop straps make for easy-on, easy-off.
- The upper is made of polished leather.
- The two hook and loop straps may wear prematurely with excessive use.
- Boring color choices.
7. SEE KAI RUN ROBYNE SNEAKER
See Kai Run Girls’ Robyne Sneaker, Silver Leather, 7 M US…
- Herringbone lug pattern provides great…
- Double hook and loop straps allows for a…
- Classic SKR fit with wide toe box to…
While these do not specifically come in “wide width” the cut of the shoe is wider than most regular-sized kids’ shoes. They are definitely worth trying on.
The rubber sole provides a safe sturdy platform for toddlers and older girls. The shoe is available in sizes up to 13.5! The collar and tongue are both padded and the inside of the shoe is lined with breathable material to keep kids feet extra comfy.
The Robyne is available in cute colors and designs (that won’t give you a headache) like navy with stars and moons and a dark purple with dots.
- Lightweight, breathable materials.
- Rubber sole provides great traction.
- The double Velcro straps secure feet in snugly.
- The padded tongue and collar are very comfy.
- Not a true “wide width” shoe but might work for many girls with wider feet.
- The price is a little higher.
8. NINA BONNETT MARY JANE
Nina Bonnett Mary Jane (Infant/Toddler), Black Patent, 6 W…
With a low ½-inch heel and a classic Mary Jane design, this little girls’ shoe comes in a wide width so she can be comfortable and fancy for special occasions.
The shoe has a buckle closure with an ankle strap that can be adjusted. The only issue with the shoe may be the actual sizing. You may need to go up a half or full size.
While they may not be comfortable for everyday wear, they are perfect for special occasions or for when your dearest one wants to dress up a little.
- Classy, sleek Mary Jane design.
- The strap can be adjusted to the child’s unique foot shape.
- Nonslip sole.
- Durable patent leather exterior.
- May need to size up a half or full size.
- Not comfortable enough for daily wear.
9. MERRELL KIDS JUNGLE MOC 2
Merrell Jungle Moc Moccasin, Gunsmoke, 1 US Unisex Big Kid
- Slip-on shoe featuring logo-embossed…
- Pull-on loop at counter
- Removable EVA footbed
- M-Select FRESH reduces odor
- M-Select GRIP durable, grippy outsole
This Merrell shoe features the same M Select Grip outsole that is in Merrell’s adult shoes, which means awesome traction on any surface— the school gym, a trail, and yes, even the jungle!
This easy on/easy off shoe is a classic slip-on shoe with a comfy padded collar and durable suede upper. The M Select FRESH technology reduces any stinky odors, making them perfect for everyday use.
- A grippy outsole provides great traction on all surfaces.
- Slip-on shoe design for easy on and easy off.
- Comfortable collar and footbed.
- Suede upper is durable.
- Kids may not like the look.
- Might be a little stiff at first.
10. SPERRY HALYARD HOOK & LOOP BOAT SHOE
Sperry Unisex-Child Halyard Hook and Loop Boat Shoe, Khaki,…
- canvas upper
- hook & loop closure for easy on/off and…
- vulcanized bottom for cushion and…
This canvas boat shoe is not only stylish, durable, and comfortable but also comes at a fair price.
The outsole of the shoe is made of a flexible vulcanized rubber that provides cushion and allows the natural movement of your child’s foot.
The double hook and loop closure are easy to use and make putting the shoe on and taking it off easy for your little one.
- Very stylish design that comes in a variety of neutral, flattering colors.
- Easy to use hook and loop closures that keep the foot securely in place.
- Rubber outsole provides support, flexibility, and comfort
- Affordable price for a quality shoe.
- Straps are a little short exposing Velcro.